Monday, October 13, 2008

Latest News and My Stance on Prop 8

Boy, it has been a while! Hmm - that's how I start every entry in my journal. That is a bad sign. Any ways, I had some pictures I wanted to add tonight, but I couldn't find the cord to download the pic's from my camera which was in the bedroom with Kent sleeping. So after much searching with a mini mag light I finally found it. I only have a couple of small things to update. I thought it might be time to re-evaluate my life when I went to a work retreat where we did a game to get to know everyone at your table. We were asked to come up with as many words that start with the first letter of our name that we felt would describe us, then ask the others at the table which one fits us best. I ended up as Assertive Amy. Not Amiable, Admirable, Amazing, Angelic, Adventurous or even slightly Attractive - just Assertive. Aggressive did come up once or twice. eeek! Well, as useful as assertiveness is, I am now trying to me more tender, faithful, understanding, forgiving, and sensitive. We'll see how that goes - I let you know unless it doesn't go well. :)

The other thing that is happening around here is Prop 8. If you don't already know, Proposition 8 will amend the California constitution re-defining marriage as between a man and a woman , upholding the traditional definition of marriage. It has been an interesting and frustrating couple of months. For anyone who doesn't think we are in the last days...Come to California! My biggest frustration is that people are voting based on hearsay and have not studied or considered the ramifications of their vote no matter which side they are on. I have done a lot of research on this proposition in order to defend it properly and the information I have found was quite surprising. Here are the facts:
1. Domestic partners in California currently have a law that states that all other laws in which a marriage or husband and wife are referred to - that law also applies to their domestic partnership. Therefore, the passing of this proposition does not in any way take away any rights that same sex couples currently have and they already have all the same rights as married couples.
2. By the failure of this proposition, homosexual couples do not gain any additional rights other than the title of "Marriage"
3. If proposition 8 does not succeed, any bishop, minister, preacher, pastor who's faith does not permit them to perform the marriage of a same sex couple can be taken to court for refusing to do so - this implies that religious freedom is not equal to gay rights, but beneath it.
4. If the prop fails, all public school curriculum will incorporate teaching our children that same sex marriage is equal to traditional marriage, that each is acceptable and you are free to choose. I just heard a father in Massachusetts has already been arrested for demanding parental notification before this curriculum was taught to his children. Parents are not given a choice! Watch their story.
5. Many Christian orphanages will be forced to adopt children to same sex couples against their religious beliefs or close. I have heard the argument that wouldn't it be better to get the thousands of orphans in loving homes more quickly by adopting to same sex couples? Wouldn't it help get children off the street? I have pondered this; if adoption agencies are forced to close because they can not abandon their religious beliefs - how many more children will be homeless? A lot more than are adopted by same sex couples.... I think I would prefer the current situation - for the sake of the children.

In summary, if Prop 8 fails a weighty consequence will be on the shoulders or every parent, child, and religion whose faith does not support same sex marriage, but same sex couples will get their title - even if it does not provide any additional rights for them. If prop 8 passes - same sex couples will see no change from how they currently live and neither will any one else. It stays the same. No one looses anything. My hope is that people will study the facts and make an educated decision before voting - for anything! It is interesting that if one group pushes hard enough for equality it comes at the expense of others freedom. Where is the balance? How is that equal? I'm not trying to be discriminatory, just standing up for my own rights. Someone has to. PLEASE VOTE YES FOR PROP 8. Well now that I have exhausted myself... Sorry to get carried away, I just feel this is very important. Here are the pictures I wanted to put up. Kent in DC at the Christian Legal Society conference. Did you know there is a statue of Brigham Young in the nations capital?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Well I think you are AMAZING Amy. You are always doing things for others and always have fun/helpful ideas. I am so glad we are friends. I think people at work know you as WORK Amy, but if they knew all facets of your personality, they would know that you are amazing. So thanks for being such a wonderful role model to me...I love ya girly!