Sunday, April 5, 2009

Play Time

With Kent done with the bar and awaiting his results, it feels as though we finally have a break from stress. I should say ACTIVE stress. We are still very worried about the current economy stumping all the job opportunities in California, and are a little frustrated at the amount of resumes Kent has turned in without any responses. The good news is that Kent's found a way to keep busy and bring in a little bit of money on the side. He is tutoring math to a couple of different kids in the area. Despite what he may say - he loves it. He is stopping by the store on his way home tonight to buy "incentives" AKA candy bars for his kids to show their work. We were able to get in some fun hiking this past weekend.
We went to Malibu Creek state park and did a five mile "hike" up the river to the lake at the top. What this hike secretly beheld was no trail, thousands of huge boulders, no ground to walk on in some placed (as you can tell from the rock climbing pictures below), and my favorite part, wait for it.... the place where there was no alternative solution to just plain swimming across the river. Kent, somehow found a much treacherous way to hack it, but I chose to swim, well kind of. I tried to jump the big underwater rocks so I only had to get wet up to my waist, but slipped and skinned up my knees and shins pretty bad. Four days later - the swelling is finally gone, but some pretty blue, green and purple shades are starting to peek through the skin. Kent says I am an "enemy to nature", but I think this is just my kind of hike. Who wants a boring stroll down a dirt trail where the coolest thing you see is the spider that you just stepped on or a chipmunk run under the bush next to you? I know a lot of people like that, but it's just not for me. We got to see giant tadpoles with heads the size of golf balls!!!! No joke - you couldn't make this stuff up. If you want to see pictures of them shoot me an e-mail and I'll forward them along. I also wanted to conclude with the continuation of my spray paint marathon. Below is a picture of my newly refurbished china hutch. It was sure a pain and Kent wasn't happy with my using our plastic lined deck for my work station, but the end result looks pretty good. Fun stuff.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

OK i swear I did that hike once and it was not nearly so treacherous. But maybe we only went part of the way -I just remember that lake you guys are standing in front of and that it smelt like rotten eggs (weird).

alfburg03 said...

It's possible. Did you follow the trail or ditch the trail and take the river? We rock climbed around the back of the rock pools and followed the river up throught the canyon. And Yes, The upper lake does smell like rotten eggs! I have to say - the trip wasn't nearly as hard the second time, and it only took us half as long.