Monday, May 9, 2011

Musical Chairs

Well I have so much to write about! i feel like my life has been a giant game of musical chairs. I have has so much going on that I have not had any time to blog or really sleep for that matter.

I have had the great opportunity to be the music director for The Empress Theatre's Production of Oklahoma! Closing night is this Saturday and It is a bitter sweet moment. It will be sad to leave the cast, but boy do i need the break. Full time school plus 24 hours a week spent on the musical has been very challenging. The critics review was just posted online. We were very excited to get such a good review.

I was invited to play piano for the Salt Lake Community College Jazz Band. It as been such a great experience and I have learned so much. Improvisational solos are a beast to pick up on the fly, but turns out trial by fire is the fastest way to learn. I will try to post the video of our spring concert as soon as the edited version is live.

I am also still preparing for my piano solo recital which will hopefully take place in August. I also have a few new vocal and piano students now which is very fun.

I got to perform in another production of the 10 Virgins musical where we got requests for three more performances.

I have finally declared my major and will be focusing on music education and vocal performance. I am heavily into my major now with five of my eight classes being music classes. No you can see what I mean by musical chairs. I feel like I sleep, eat and drink music. And I decidedly hate six-four chords if anyone knows what those are.

Aside from musical chairs, Kent and I did get a little break and drove with our friends Tom and Jessy to St. George. We went to Snow Canyon and went on a fun little hike.
Here is me in the mouth of one of the large lava tunnels. We were really bummed we didn't bring head lamps. I guess we will be making another trip there to do some more exploring.
Here is Kent further in the cave of the largest lava tunnel we found.

Here is Tom and Jessy's little boy Thomas (T-Rex). He is so cute.

No comments: