An overview on the birth. Kent Maxwell "Max" was born January 5th, 2012 at 1:39 am. He was 6 lbs 10 oz and 19 inches long with huge feet. The nurse came back after getting him dressed and looked at Kent with wide eyes as he said, "These are the biggest socks we have". The heel only came to his arch. We think he will be tall.
I went into labor at 4:30 pm on the 4th going right to contractions every five minutes, when they got unbearable we went to the hospital at about 10:30 pm. They were still four to five minutes apart and not seeming to speed up, but the doctor said he would just check me to be safe. In the five minutes it took us to get to the hospital (small town) they went from five minutes to every 1 1/2 min. I just kept thinking, "they want me to breath through these"? Once we got there my doc checked me and I was dilated to a 5. He said that it usually takes about an hour per centimeter, especially for a first baby. My contractions were way off the charts and the doctor couldn't believe how massive they were. He kept telling me they were "monster contractions" I just couldn't handle the pain so I caved and got the epidural. Does that make me a wimp? I hope not. It is child birth after all. The guy who gave it was hilarious (not really). He just kept saying, "when you get a contraction (coming every 45 seconds now), you can tell me how bad they hurt, just don't move". Like I said, HILARIOUS!
The nurse accidentally clamped the IV to the epidural and forgot to unclamp it. When the machine wouldn't stop beeping and I started feeling everything again and she couldn't figure out how to fix it, the epidural guy came back. After giving me two extra syringes of meds directly into the line, he looked down and saw the clamp. He quickly unclamped it releasing even more meds into my body. It was like instant paralysis from the chest down.
Once all this finally winds down the doctor comes back (about 12:30) to check me again. To his surprise and mine I was at a ten and fully effaced. He says all right, put your legs up. HA! I can't feel them or anything else! I try to lift them up with my arms but dead legs are really heavy! Everyone starts laughing at me. Then they decide to actually help me hold them up.
Max's umbilical cord around his neck so the doctor had to work quick to get him out. Not so good for me - I will spare you the details. Max was born at 1:39 am after pushing through only three contractions. It all went pretty fast.

One benefit of living in a small town... Max was the New Year's baby. Famous from day one, there was an entire article about him in the local paper and we were given tons of free stuff. Lot's of diapers! Yea!
I just can't believe how amazing birth is. Well worth the wait. I just keep wondering how a baby can have a body so small, but a spirit so big. It seems like his little body to hardly contain its sweet spirit. Like a spiritual giant coming straight from heaven, he seemed to be surrounded by an unseen mass of strength and power and peace. What an exciting moment to witness a child of God willingly coming to earth knowing he will have to forget the life he knows to enter a body that has to learn how to do everything and is completely dependant upon others. I of course am grasping for words to explain and indescribable experience and failing miserably. It was just amazing.
Max is three and a half months old now and doing fantastic. He is long and skinny. He is cooing a lot, playing with toys, trying to stay sitting up (he hates laying down so I bought him a bumbo) and has just started sleeping through the night without feedings. 11 hours a night! Special thanks to the Baby Sleep Solutions book. We just love him to pieces.
Kent and I just bought a house are can't wait for closing at the end of May so we can move from our one bedroom apartment.
I am preparing for another solo recital here in Kanab at the Crescent Moon Theater on May 26th. Finding time to practice is a challenge, so I have become nocturnal.
Those are the big things... Here are some cute pics. Kent found out that Max likes to sleep with stuff on his head, as you can tell by the stuffed chick. I will try to update sooner next time with some more recent pictures.
This is him at about four weeks:


This was the day I decided to play photographer. He is about two months in these:

2 comments:
Congrats!! Child birth is crazy isn't it? He's so cute.
He's so precious! Crazy birth story too!! You are totally not a wimp, modern medicine....yes please:) we are headed to lake Powell I'm June an swill be passing right by you, maybe we could mee up?
Post a Comment