Sunday, August 3, 2008

Back from Costa Rica Alive

We had a blast in Costa Rica although I have to say I should have gone down at the beginning of Kent's trip rather than the end. He was kind of pooped out and a little less enthusiastic than me. We went to Arenal - the third most active volcano in the world. We stayed at a resort with a perfect view of the volcano over looking the lake. You can hear the volcano erupting continually and even see some lava running down at night. It was so beautiful. We then took a van to Manuel Antonio. Here we had cute geckos in our hotel room which thankfully kept the mosquitoes out. I called them my friends. We went to the National park there which is a real jungle (no pun intended). The video below is of some of the white faced monkeys stealing one of the tourists lunches right out of her backpack. The are cute, but they are thieves and they bite.

We also saw huge iguanas, crabs, sloths, deer, large spiders, lizards of all kinds including one that ran on its hind legs like on Rescuers Down Under, and large beautiful blue butterflies. There was a waterfall that we found a trail to - we had to climb through rivers, vines, bugs, and mud to get there. I really felt like I had stepped into an Indiana Jones movie with the monkeys, birds and bugs so loud in the background of our adventurous hike. We then went ocean kayaking. it was a blast! I loved it. I think Kent and I are going to invest in a couple of Kayaks now as a new hobby. The beaches there are so beautiful and the water is about 82 degrees. We then took a bus back to San Jose where we spent a couple more days among the ticos. We went to see Dark Night for $3.50 each. All our friends are jealous. We about died on numerous occasions in the taxi's, either that or our driver almost killed someone else crossing the street while we were in their car. The traffic there makes me grateful for the traffic in Los Angeles if you can believe that! We also got to walk around in down town San Jose where they have about 200 giant cows that companies decorate and donate. They then auction them off and give the money to charity. Some of these cows were hilarious. One last thing, Every one asks about the food, well - it was really good, but one experience was my favorite. We were at a little "soda" at I glanced up while we were waiting for our food and noticed that the sign on the wall was moving. I kept watching his phenomenon until I saw four cockroaches peek from behind the sign and then quickly run around and sneek back behind the sign. This happened for the duration of our stay at that restaurant. It was delicious. As was this last cow. If anyone wants to see more pictures, just let me know and I can email some to you. All in all, Costa Rica is highly recommended in my book.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you guys had so much fun! I love it there and Sarah and I really had a great trip. I can't wait to go back and spend more time in paradise!

alfburg03 said...

Kent just saw this post and he said, "Why in the world did you use that picture on the top with our wierd faces?" I told him people should see who we really are... Hopefuly no one was scared away.

Ruachel said...

Thanks for the link to backgrounds. I changed mine! You'll have to check it out. I was just wondering, why didn't you post the other picture of the cow? You know which one I am talking about. You showed it to me last week...

Ruachel said...

Thanks for the link to new backgrounds. I changed mine. You'll have to check it out. I was just wondering, why didn't you post the other cow picture? You know which one I am talking about. You showed it to me last week...